Well just like most things this year….Remembrance Day will be a little different. It is so important, now more than ever, to ensure that we take some time to mark this day. Here are some options for how to get involved this year.
The Almonte Legion has had to cancel many of their usual events. This year there will be no Veterans Dinner at the Legion, no Legion led Remembrance services at the Senior Residences in the town.
They will be holding a short Remembrance service by invite only and limited to 25 persons at the Cenotaph in Almonte at 1100Hrs on November 11th. The Legion appreciates that many will still want to attend the Cenotaph and pay their respects so they will be live streaming the service. Here are the links to view;
http://www.rcl05240.ca/ OR http://www.
The Carleton Place Legion has had to cancel their usual events too but are doing an invitation only ceremony like Almonte. The Ceremony will begin at 10:45 a.m
The Ceremony will be able to be viewed by those not receiving an invitation as the local Legion will be live streaming the Ceremony through Facebook Live and it may be viewed through the Royal Canadian Legion Branch 192 Facebook page.
Mississippi Mills posted the following great ideas on their Facebook Page:
• Watch a live stream Remembrance Day event on TV with your household;
• Write a message to a veteran you know
• Donate to your local Legion
• Find a time during the next couple of weeks to visit our cenotaphs when you can be alone. We have cenotaphs in Almonte, Pakenham and Clayton.
• Talk to your children about the sacrifices our veterans made for our freedom.
• Take a stroll on the Almonte Veterans Walk, read the plaques and take a moment of silent reflection.
• Check out the Canadian War Museum Virtual Exhibits